14 June was the website launch of ‘the People’s declaration for Traditional, Complementary and Integrative Healthcare. This declaration calls for the respectful collaboration between traditional, complementary and biomedical practices with the aim of achieving a person-centred and holistic approach to health.
The healthcare we desire:
- Focuses on the whole person in its physical, mental, social and spiritual dimensions
- Is patient-centred and supports self-healing and health creation
- Is participative and respects individual choices
- Is evidence-based by integrating clinical experience and patient values with the best available research information
- Respects cultural diversity and regional differences
- Is an integral part of community and planetary health
- Uses natural and sustainable resources that are respectful of the health of our planet
- Integrates traditional, complementary and biomedical practices in a supportive and collaborative manner
In this declaration, there is a call to action to:
Ensure full access to TCIH as part of the right to health
Include TCIH into national health systems
Provide accreditation of TCIH healthcare practitioners in accordance with international training standards to ensure high-quality care
Ensure access and safety of TCIH medicines through specific regulatory pathways
Fund research on TCIH and disseminate reliable information of TCIH to the public
All healthcare professionals:
Foster respectful collaboration between all healthcare professions towards achieving a person-centered and holistic approach to healthcare
All media and publications:
Ensure accurate and fair reporting on TCIH
The launch of the declaration was almost immediately a great success. You can also be part of this by signing and spreading the Peoples Declaration for Traditional, Complementary and Integrative Medicine.
Health news related to Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Do you want to stay informed about health news in relation to CAM?