Ensuring the availability of CAM medicinal products
On 1 July 2015 another meeting of the CAM Interest Group took place, hosted and chaired by MEP Sirpa Pietikäinen (Finland).
Its subject was "Ensuring the availability of CAM medicinal products for the benefit of EU citizens in order to exploit their potential to address some major health issues of our time such as antimicrobial resistance and chronic disease."
In several EU Member States the availability of CAM herbal, homeopathic, and anthroposophic medicinal products is unnecessarily restricted, a fact confirmed by a recent report by Matrix Insight, commissioned by DG Health and Food Safety. The lack of availability of these products inhibits an increasing demand by EU citizens for low risk, health enhancing CAM medicines, hampering the ability of doctors and practitioners to deliver CAM treatments effectively. It also undermines the potential benefit of these products in helping to tackle health issues prioritised by the Commission e.g. combating anti-microbial resistance, managing chronic conditions and sustaining healthy ageing. Urgent measures are now needed to increase the availability of these products across the EU.
Experts from the CAM community outlined issues that limit availability of CAM medicinal products, presenting proposals for positive action within the current legal framework in order to improve their accessibility.
A letter, signed by members of the Parliament, was sent to Commissioner Vytenis Andriukaitis, urging him to issue a Communication addressing the problems highlighted by the Matrix report.
Presentations and documents available for downloading:
- Introduction: CAM - its current state-of-play in Europe
Ton Nicolai MD, EUROCAM spokesman/coordinator.
- European citizens – the patients’ demand for CAM medicinal products
René de Winter MA, President, European Federation of Patients' Associations for Anthroposophic Medicine.
- Herbal medicinal products (e.g. Western, TCM and Ayurvedic) with reference to the Matrix report
Herbert Schwabl PhD, Board member DaKoMed - Swiss Umbrella Organisation of Complementary Medicine.
- Homeopathic medicinal products - with reference to the Matrix report
Stephen Gordon MCH RSHom FSHom, General Secretary, European Central Council of Homeopaths.
- Anthroposophic medicinal products - with reference to the Matrix report
Madeleen Winkler MD, Vice-President, International Federation of Anthroposophic Medical Associations (IVAA).
- Ensuring the availability of CAM medicinal products - Building on recommendations of the Matrix Insight report, highlighting the need for additional measures
Report by EUROCAM.
- ￼Study on the Availability of Medicinal Products for Human Use
Report by Matrix Insight.
- Case study 6 from the Matrix Insight report: Availability of herbal, homeopathic and anthroposophic medicinal products
- Letter to Commissioner Vytenis Andriukaitis signed by several members of the European Parliament.